How many of you have said, "I'd love to go there!" and you have pushed that thought in the back of your mind as real life gets in the way?
2017, a new year calls for a new beginning! Start making those dreams into reality. I know it's a hard decision to make, but sometimes you need to take a leap of faith.
1. You work very hard day in and day out. This goes for all professionals (including stay at home parents). From business meetings, to carpool, to housework, and the mountains of paperwork, there is always something to be done and your mind is going in all directions. Travel gives you an opportunity to expand your mind and learn something new or to experience something that makes you smile.
2. Separate yourself from technology. I know you are thinking, yeah, right! Ask yourself, how many times do you look at your phone in a given hour or how long are you on your laptop after business hours? I am guilty of both of these things. Travel will immerse you into new experiences that will distract you from reaching for your technology devices. Those experiences will create memories that will help you get through those rough days when you return to reality.
3. Provides education. Traveling does not have to always be to a tropical or exotic destination. Learning how to go white water rafting, snow skiing, or how to dance the flamenco are all things you can learn while traveling. Many times we want to try new things in our hometowns, but we never seem to make the time to do so. Traveling provides you that time to try new things. Learning new things helps to keep your mind sharp. Set a goal to become a lifelong learner through traveling.
4. Gives you some "ME" time. I know that I always crave this! As a full-time teacher with a travel business, a mother, a wife, and the keeper of the household workings, there is never a minute when I'm not thinking of what needs to be done next. While on vacation you give yourself permission more often to read a book, take a trip to the spa, take a quiet walk on the beach, or sit at an outside cafe to people watch. It's a time for you to destress and relax your mind.
5. Gives you the tools to become a storyteller. My husband is not a conversationalist like me. (Yes, I could strike up a conversation with a brick wall.) But when you ask him about his vacation, it's like a switch is turned on and he can't tell you enough. He adds expressions into his details and will visually take you into our experience. It amazes me to see him get excited all over again about an experience we had on a vacation. This validates some of our choices that we made during our trips-should we or shouldn't we. Now, I'm glad we did!
6. Enjoying the outdoors and nature. As a society we do not get outside like we should. We are a work driven people that sometimes loses sight of what is around us. Traveling provides you with different opportunities to immerse you in nature. It could be walking the trails of the Grand Canyon, climbing a tree at a park, swimming with dolphins, or walking along a narrow cobblestone street, adventure awaits you!
7. Your senses are awaken. Sight-taking pictures as you travel is important to look back and relive that specific moment. Smell-as you walk through the garden shop and smell the tulips remind you of your trip Holland. Sound-the sound of rushing water transports you back to Niagara Falls and all it's power. Touch-holding the Christmas ornament you bought at the Christmas market in Germany and remembering the entire adventure. Taste-(my daughter's favorite) When I try to replicate a recipe from one of the meals on our vacation and she says, "It tastes just like the restaurant!"
Traveling and the memories it gives you can never be taken away. Thinking back to a specific trip can sometimes bring a smile to your face. (Or even have you laughing with tears streaming down your face remembering how wet the family got after riding a water rapids ride and were soaked for hours after.) Take the time to make memories as these are all your friends and family will have once you are gone. Material things break or disappear, but traveling and the images in your mind will forever be a part of you!
Make 2017 a year to make memories to last a lifetime!